Employing over 500 staff in what is indisputably one of the most stunning locations in the country, Queenstown Lakes District Council is at the very heart of a dynamic community. Our services are essential to the people in our region and include infrastructure development, community recreational facilities and planning, building and other regulatory services. The Parks Delivery Team are responsible for presenting the very best of our Wakatipu Gardens, Reserves for both our community & visitors.
QLDC have a permanent, full-time role with a minimum of 40 hours per week available.
The Gardener position is responsible for the maintenance of our green assets – including the world famous Queenstown Gardens. The role requires sound horticulture skills, to maintain these facilities and others.
This established gardening team takes pride in ensuring a high professional standard is maintained at all times for all horticulture work undertaken on selected parks and reserves under Council management including locations in Queenstown, Frankton and Arrowtown.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Ensure garden areas (including the Queenstown Gardens, Queenstown CBD, The Queenstown Events Centre and Arrowtown) are maintained to a high standard, in accordance with approved horticultural practices and specifications.
- Maintain shrub, annual/perennial rose bed and native areas, weed control, leaf removal, mulching and spraying of weeds
- Some hard landscaping
- Monitor and maintain irrigation systems
- Ensure dealings with the public are carried out in such a way as to promote a friendly, customer-oriented image of QLDC
The successful candidate will hold;
- High School Certificate (level 2 or above) NCEA.
- 2 years’ experience in amenity horticulture or general garden maintenance
- Current full & clean New Zealand Drivers Licence, with the ability to drive manual
- Can do attitude & enthusiasm to learn
- An eye for detail
- Formal qualification in amenity horticulture or general garden maintenance (desired)
- Competent with the effective and safe use of gardening machinery and equipment
- Sound knowledge of weed, plant, pests and their control
- Experience in managing and maintaining irrigation systems would be beneficial
- Hard landscaping experience would be beneficial
- Ability to work in all weather and climatic extremes
- A good level of health and physical fitness; role requires heavy lifting
- Competitive market remuneration
- Regular working hours
- Health Insurance
- Mobile Phone provide
- Full Uniform
- Discounted health and fitness club rates at our great facilities
- Extensive Training Opportunities
- Making a positive difference to our community
For more information on this role, or to apply, please visit https://qldc.qjumpersjobs.co/
Applications close: Tuesday, 22nd June 2021.