Employing over 500 staff in one of the most stunning locations in the country, Queenstown Lakes District Council is at the very heart of a dynamic community. Our services are essential to the people in our region and include infrastructure development, community recreational facilities and planning, building and other regulatory services.
We’re proud to be QLDC, and in response to the growth the district has experienced over recent years the QLDC organisation has itself experienced substantial growth. We genuinely believe in developing our people and providing them with all the tools and opportunities needed to succeed.
We’re looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to join our dedicated team, responsible for providing advice and representation in one of our key areas.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Associate Counsel, you’ll be providing legal advice to Council on all matters corporate. This will include carrying out commercial negotiations and supporting the delivery of infrastructure and property projects.
Your key areas of responsibilities will include:
- Commercial contracting and procurement
- Property and reserves - advice and oversight on transactions and management issues
- Development agreements for infrastructure delivery
- Local government – applicable legislation and functions
- LGOIMA and Privacy Compliance
- CCTO/CCO matters
- Civil disputes and litigation (including supervision of external legal representation)
As part of our small yet knowledgeable legal team, you’ll also be working with the wider team on other matters as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the role
You’ll have a number of years experience ideally with experience in local government. You’ll be a strong and successful communicator with the ability to relate to people with various levels of understanding. A natural relationship builder, you’ll form solid connections with both staff and external legal service providers.
- A tertiary qualification in law
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and an awareness of Maori perspectives and issues relevant to Maori
- Legal risk management experience
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join this high performing team. To apply, please head to http://qldc.qjumpers.co.nz/jobs/ and apply online with your CV and Cover Letter. Please direct any questions to Rachael Roberts on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: Tuesday 7th February 2023